Why remodel your bathroom? Upgrading your bathroom is one way to increase the value of your home. Even if you stay in your home, you will have more confidence and pride in your living space with a new bathroom.
Updating your outdated bathroom could also deal with any structural damage or mold that may be under the surface. If you see any signs you need to upgrade your bathroom, call a professional contractor for a quote. Here are six reasons why you should remodel your bathroom.
1. The Decor Is Outdated
Experts in the real estate industry suggest that you should update your bathroom before selling. In New York, a mid-range bathroom remodel has a return on investment (ROI) of 64%. Potential homebuyers would rather invest in a home that’s move-in ready than a home that needs renovations right away.
You can also remodel your bathroom to boost your confidence and add new life to your living space. Most homeowners choose neutral colors for their bathroom walls to take advantage of any natural light. Consider investing in toilets, tubs and showers that are attractive and easy to maintain.
2. The Lighting Is Poor
The lighting plan of a bathroom often takes a backseat to the color and appliances in the bathroom. You may have gotten used to the poor lighting in your bathroom. A bathroom that’s too bright can be blinding in the morning. A dark bathroom in the evening can make it hard to see as you get ready for bed.
Here are some ways to improve the lighting in your bathroom:
- Work with your reflective surfaces: Bathrooms are often filled with mirrors and other reflective surfaces. These reflective surfaces can balance the light in your dark bathroom.
- Use natural lighting: Turn off the lights during the day and see how you can use your windows and skylights to maximize your lighting. Older, smaller bathrooms are usually darker because they have smaller windows. Consider adding more lighting to your bathroom by expanding your window.
- Install adjustable lights: You should also install light fixtures with a dimmer switch. Adjustable lighting will help you see without being blinding, day or night.
3. It Lacks Adequate Storage Space
Storage space for your bathroom can help you keep your items cleaner. If you have more storage space, you’ll reduce the clutter in your bathroom. When you’re remodeling your bathroom, don’t make your storage space an afterthought. Incorporate storage into the design of your bathroom.
Here are some ways to provide more storage space in your updated bathroom:
- Create boundaries for what’s allowed in the bathroom: With clutter lingering around, the bathroom may feel like a locker room. If your bathroom is near the laundry room, you may use your bathroom as a drying room for your clothes. The layout needs to work for you and your family.
- Add permanent storage spaces: You need space in your bathroom for your cosmetics and toiletries. Add a closet or update your vanity so there’s storage underneath. While you could buy temporary organizers, installing permanent storage is better long-term. Instead of stacking your towels on top of the toilet, invest in storage that gives you a designated spot.
4. There Are Leaks and Other Damage
You need to update your bathroom if your faucet is dripping or you see signs of water damage. The following problems could be signs that you need to remodel your bathroom:
- Leaks: A leaky faucet is annoying and costly. If you have leaks in your bathroom, you may have more severe damage under the surface. If you can, check the ceiling of the room below the bathroom. Bubbling or paint chipping on your ceiling is a sign that you may have leaks within your walls. A professional contractor can deal with potentially dangerous water damage.
- The sound of water running: If you hear water running behind your walls, a pipe might have burst. Plumbing issues and extreme water pressure could cause structural damage to your walls. Call a professional plumber to deal with any unusual water sounds right away.
- High water bills: You would see an increase in your water bill if you have excess water running through your pipes. Unless you suddenly start using more water, the jump in water prices is probably due to a leak.
- Mold: Mold produces a dank, old odor in your bathroom. Mold can get under your tiles and inside your walls. Try deep cleaning the bathroom to see if the smell goes away. To treat and prevent mold, install an exhaust fan or open up windows when you use the shower. If mold is a major issue in your bathroom, you’ll need a bathroom remodel.
5. The Layout Is Too Cramped
Your family might have grown since you moved into your living space. What worked for you when you were single doesn’t work now that you’re married with two kids. You need to remodel your space so that you can accommodate your growing and changing family.
Most older bathrooms have a cramped layout with limited space to move. You don’t have to expand your bathroom’s footprint to have a more open layout. Contractors can work with what you have to give you the most bathroom for your living space.
6. The Flooring Is Stained, Cracked or Missing
When you remodel your bathroom, take the opportunity to upgrade your flooring. Choose a flooring material that will withstand the wear and tear of moisture and grime. You should also invest in an exhaust fan to help the moisture evaporate in your bathroom after a shower.
Cracked or stained tiles could either be a sign of mold or structural damage:
- Mold and mildew: Stains, cracks or gaps in your tile could mean mold or mildew growth in your bathroom. The floor tiles may have black or green mold spots on them. You will need to replace your moldy tiles so your family doesn’t develop health problems.
- Structural damage: Cracked tiles could also point to structural damage. You may have uneven walls or floors that need to be repaired. The bathroom might also have plumbing issues that have corroded its foundation.
Clean your floors regularly to keep track of any unusual stains in your tiles. If you notice your tiles are not as bright and clean, call in a professional to find out the cause of your stained tile.
Trust Brothers Aluminum to Remodel Your Bathroom in New York
If your bathroom needs updating, we can bring your bathroom back to life. We have more than 40 years of experience remodeling bathrooms. You can trust us to restore the function of your bathroom and design it to fit your unique style in New York City, Long Island, including Suffolk and Nassau County, and Westchester County. Contact us today for a quote to find out how much it costs to remodel a bathroom. Fill out a contact form or call us at 800-NEW-LOOK.